Große Freiheit and Reeperbahn (streets in Hamburg)
The Große Freiheit located in the St. Pauli neighborhood, is part of the red light district of Hamburg. In the 1960s the Beatles played in Große Freiheit 64 and Große Freiheit 39. These two locations are no longer music clubs but one remains as a music club-Große Freiheit 36. Churches of many different denominations were located on this street beginning in 1610. But eventually the churches moved to other areas of Hamburg. The only remaining church on the street is the St. Josephs Catholic Church (third picture). The church sits at the beginning of the street that now consists of night clubs and gentleman clubs.
The guide told us that some of the gentlemen’s club lure customers into their clubs promising only a 5-10 € entrance but when they want to leave they are charged a large amount. The government has shut down a few of them but some still remain.
The Reeperbahn, also part of the red light district, is the main street in St. Pauli neighborhood. It has the name “reeperbahn” because ropes used to be manufactured in the area. The wide street is lined with restaurants, clubs, stores, theaters, and apartments. The twin curved office buildings are called the Dancing Towers.